If you are a regular Windows 10 user then you might have come across Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry services in Task Manager. A lot of users complain about Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage problem and your computer will become laggy and slow. But, what actually is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and How to Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry in your Windows 1078.1/8/7 PC or computer.
A lot of users are not aware of this service that is running in the background for Microsoft development services. If you open Task Manager and go through the list of the Background process, you will be able to find a background service called “Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry” running in the background.
If you don’t what is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry service and how does it send your data to Microsoft then read on.
- What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
- What Sort of Data does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Collect?
- Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
- Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using CMD
- Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry using Services App
- Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry with Registry Editor
- Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry with compattelrunner.exe
- Final Words
What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
In simple terms, Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry runs in the background and collect data regarding your Computer and usage and send it to the Microsoft Development team. The data collected by this service is solely used for development purpose only and not your private data.
Microsoft has officially confirmed that it only collects data about your machine so as to develop new features and also fix existing bugs. A lot of people think this service misuse your private data by sending them to Microsoft. If you are one among them who is concerned about the data that is being sent to Microsoft for development purpose then you can easily Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and Fix High Disk Usage of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry in the Task Manager.
The service works in the background and sends data every 30 Mins. If the data has to be sent to the Microsoft team then there should be an active Internet Connection. Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry uses both internet as well as Computer resource to analyze and Collect Data. In this way, it might consume some resources that are limited, like the Internet (Especially, If you are running on a Metered Internet Connection)
What Sort of Data does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Collect?
If you are very concerned about the data that is being collected by this service then have a look at the data that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collects.
- Everything that you talk and access via Cortana will be transcripted to plain text and is sent to Microsoft Development team
- Sends the first 35MB of data from your Webcam
- Every typed text from your Keyboard
- Each and Every detail about the hardware and different software you are using
- Details about Drivers
- Send data with an interval of 30 Minute
What sort of Data it doesn’t collect?
- Your Desktop Wallpaper
- Personal Files info
- Search History
- Microsoft Edge Browsing History
One of the main reason why Microsoft include Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry in every version of Windows is to collect data for the betterment of the OS. The data that is being sent by this service will help Microsoft to develop new features and also fix bugs.
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
If you are facing issues with the service like High Internet consumption, High Disk Usage, and Resource usage then you can follow the methods mentioned below to get rid of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Using CMD
Step 1: Press Windows key + R to launch Run interface
Step 2: Type “cmd” in the run dialogue box and hit Enter. It will open CMD or Command Prompt window
Step 3: Copy the command given below and paste it in the command prompt window
Step 4: Hit Enter and you are all good to go. You have successfully disabled Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry in Windows
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry using Services App
- Open Search and type “Services”
- Open the App called “Services” from the list that appears.
- Navigate and find “Diagnostics Tracking Service” from the Services page
- Right click and select Properties
- Mark the Startup type as “Disabled”
- That’s it we have disabled Tracking Services that sent data to Microsoft.
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry with Registry Editor
- Click Windows Key + R to launch Microsoft Run
- Type in regedit and hit Enter
- It will launch the Registry Editor of Windows system
- Navigate to the subdirectory
- Right click and Click on New. Now, create a DWORD of 32-bit. Name it as Allow Telemetry and the value as 0.
- Click OK
- Open search bar and type in Services to Launch Services app
- From the Services section, find “Connected User Experience and Telemetry Service”
- Right-click and select Properties
- Set the startup type to Disabled
Now, we have disabled Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry services to fix high disk usage and restrict sending data to Microsoft.
Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry with compattelrunner.exe
In this method, we are going to delete a file from the system32 folder, which will stop Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry services
Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in to your computer as an Administrator who has full rights over the computer
Step 2: Launch Windows Run by pressing Windows Key + Run. And paste the below-given directory address into it and hit Enter. Or you can directly follow to the directory given below in Windows File Explorer
Now, we have opened the System32 folder which contains all the important files and folders for windows to work. If you delete any wrong file, then it will make Windows corrupted. So be careful.
Step 3: In the folder, search for a file called CompatTelRunner.
Step 4: Right click on the selected file and click on Properties
Step 5: Go to the Owners tab in Properties dialogue box
Step 6: Click on the Edit button and select Administrator from the Edit tab and press Okay to save changes.
Step 7: Again right click on the file select properties.
Step 8: Switch to the Advanced options tab
Step 9: Just enable the permissions for the recently added user as the administrator.
Step 10: Now, find the CompatTelRunner file again try to delete the file. If the ownership settings are correctly mentioned then the file will get deleted without any popup. If you get any warning simply click OK.
Step 11: You either shift delete the file or delete it from the Recycle bin later on.
We have successfully deleted Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from our Windows computer/laptop. microsoft compatibility telemetry high disk usage issue will be fixed soon.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a simple service that runs in the background. This service simply just collect some data from your computer/laptop based on your usage sends these data to Microsoft team for development and bug fixes. A lot of Internet as well as Disk usage, etc are consumed by this process in the background. So, to reduce the Disk Usage and Internet consumption by Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. we can remove or delete it entirely from our Computer. We have mentioned a lot of working methods to remove Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from our Windows PC. Follow the steps and you will face no more High Disk Usage error. If you face any kind of error, be sure to comment down below and I will try to reply to every one of them.